Wednesday 28 November 2012

We're Here For You

        Some of you may remember during August I spent some time in Langley doing some recording.  We recorded two songs written by one of the guys who attends Jam Night, Mark MacMillan.  Looking back after all I have learned so far in school I see the multitude of things I did wrong during the recording process. This was just because I had no idea about all the theory and stuff behind miking instruments.  There is this thing when using multiple microphones to record a single instrument, which we did on every instrument, called phase cancellation.  Phase cancellation happens when the sound pressure cause by the instrument reaches the microphones at different times.  This results in the signals interfering with each other when combined and affecting the sound in a negative way.  It can sound like the instrument has lost all it's bass frequencies or even almost cancel the sound out entirely depending on how far 'out of phase' the microphones are.  In other words...microphone placement can make or destroy your sound, it is of utmost importance.  Amazingly after learning of this important theory and checking our recordings I found that they were mostly 'in phase'.  There was hardly any phase cancellation at all and the sound we managed to capture is surprisingly good.  I'd say we were incredibly lucky...but I don't believe in luck.

       Anyways here is a very rough mix of one of the songs we recorded entitled 'We're Here For You'.  I've had precious little time to work on the songs over the past few months but they are coming along slowly.  This one has been fully edited and had a basic level and panning mix done to it, with almost no effects or equalization or compression...it is far from finished.  It is accompanied by some pictures of some gear we're using at school for your viewing pleasure.  Lead vocals and main acoustic guitar is Mark, background vocals and piano are Andrea (my cousin), second acoustic guitar is done by me, bass is done by Chris, drums are done by Jason, electric guitar is done by Luke, and violin is done by Jonathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment