Sunday 4 November 2012

Mid-Term...Two Months Till My Return

        So this past week I got all of my mid-term exams back and although I did not get the grades I aimed for I still did quite well.  My later exams I did not do as well on due to my brain getting burnt out halfway through 'hell week', I'll have to change up my study techniques for finals so it doesn't happen again.  My worst grade was 75% in Audio for Pictures which was disappointing.  After that I got 82% in Pro Tools, 88% in MIDI, 88% in Live Sound, 89% in Sound Design, 92% in Music Theory, 94% in Computers, 96% in Recording Technology, 98% in Digital Theory, 100% in Math (I know, crazy right?), and 102% in Acoustics.  That's all for an average of 91%, my goal was 95%, close.  However, all those marks don't mean squat unless I can apply them in projects and practical exams the rest of the semester, which I feel confident I can do well.  I'm not currently the top grade in my class...that'll change.

       Speaking of projects, we've started some big ones this past week that are pretty exciting for me.  One is recreating the sound for a scene from the movie Wishmaster 3 (it's a terrible B movie, if you're into those kinds of movies...Corey...you can check it out if you want, I warn you though, it is really terrible).  We edited the dialogue this past week, fixing mistakes and unwanted sounds recorded on set.  We also added in background noise/dialogue (referred to as Walla) for a classroom setting.  Over the next few weeks we'll be creating all the sound effects, footsteps, prop handling, etc... using foley recording (which is us physically creating and recording the sounds and adding them in).  Another project we've started is doing all the sound for a trailer for the game Limbo.  This one is pretty cool, we have to use the sound effects from the Disney sound effects library in order to create all the sound effects we need.  We also have to pick a song that will fit with the feel of the trailer and put it in at the appropriate time in the trailer.  Unfortunately due to copy write stuff I cannot post either of these on the internet so you'll all have to wait till I come home for Christmas to see them.  We'll be starting projects for Production and other courses as well in the coming weeks, that stuff I'll be able to post on here.

        So Production is a new course that's just started, taking the place of MIDI and Digital Theory.  It's being taught by a guy name Dean Nelson, and it's kind of ridiculous that this is the kind of guy I'm learning from.  Dean has worked at Ocean Studios in LA, Chalice Studios in Hollywood, and Ocean Way Studios on Sunset Boulevard.  He's worked on albums for the likes of Fallout Boy, Jimmy Eat World, Evanescence, Mary J. Blige, Panic at the Disco, Eric Clapton, Dashboard Confessional, and U2.  Most recently he was the personal engineer for Beck for several years.  He moved up here and started teaching once he had a kid with his wife and decided it was time to settle down a bit.  He still does recording for artists and often tells us in class what he did on the weekend, recently he's been recording for Buck 65.

        So that's pretty much all that's going on with me currently, I could go on and on about all the awesome stuff I'm learning...but I won't.  Miss you all and I'm looking forward to seeing you at Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment